DAY ONE - Tuesday, August 20, 2019
07:30 Registration & Morning Refreshments
08:30 Chair's Welcome & Introduction
+ Vehicle Lightweighting Strategies And Material Selections + The Role For New High Strength Steels And Implementing Gen3
OPENING KEYNOTE PANEL: EV LIGHTWEIGHTING
08:40 Evaluating The Latest Data On How Lightweighting Objectives May Change For Battery Electric And Autonomous Vehicles - How Important Is Mass Reduction Going To Be In The Future?
- Value of lightweighting for fuel efficient ICEVs, EVs and autonomous vehicles
- Material selection for EVs - How important is mass reduction going to be? - Will it become less critical?
- What will be the impact on mass reduction?
- Impact of vehicle architecture including battery size and interior design on material choices
- Implications of shifting battery performance curves with increased energy density
- Case examples for SUVs, city cars and lightweight pickup trucks
Dr. Zhong Chen, Senior Engineer, Advanced Metallic Lightweight Materials, NIO
Prof. Dr. Ing. Achille Mbang Sama, Leader, European Affordable Lightweight Automobiles Alliance Project, Mercedes-Benz Operations (Daimler AG)
Dr. Fei Xiong, Vice President, Product Engineering, Electric Vehicles, Qiantu Motor
Dr. Venkat Aitharaju, Staff Researcher, Polymer Composites, R&D Technical Center, General Motors
Dana McCarius, Advanced Vehicle Engineering, Energy Efficiency & Competitive Intelligence, ESG Automotive
PANEL: GEN3 AND HIGH STRENGTH STEELS
09:30 Assessing The Benefits And Implementation Of Gen3 And High Strength Steels - Ensuring Usability And Repairability
- Updates on Gen3 grades as well as commercialization of next generation boron and ultra high strength steels
- Addressing the challenges of manufacturability
- Improving simulation of fatigue and fracture failure characteristics of Gen3 and other high strength steels
- Considerations with crash repairability and serviceability
John Catterall, Executive Director, Auto Steel Partnership (A/SP)
Hank Bonutti, Advanced Technology Manager, Mahindra NATC
10:20 Question And Answer Session
10:30 Refreshments And Networking Break In Exhibition Area
Joining Technologies For Mixed Metal Solutions Including Mechanical Fastenings, Welding And Adhesives
CASE STUDY: JOINING GEN3 TO GEN3
11:00 Identifying And Adopting Cost Effective Techniques For Joining Advanced High Strength Steels
- Best practices for high strength steel joining cost-effectively
- Making grades and performance more transparent - validation requirements and design guidelines
- Case studies on developments in resistance spot-welding (RSW), laser welding and metal inert gas (MIG) welding
11:30 Question And Answer Session
CASE STUDY: JOINING GEN3 TO ALUMINUM
11:40 Innovations For Joining High Strength Steels To Aluminum Alloys
- Best practices for high strength steel to aluminum 6000 and 7000 series alloys
- Mechanical vs. fusion joining approaches
- Taking account of the different thermal expansion characteristics in joining dissimilar metals
- Improving compatibility and eliminating galvanic corrosion with dissimilar metals
Warren Salt, Director of Business Development, NobelClad
12:10 Question And Answer Session
Structural Adhesive Bonding Systems, Technologies,Testing And Process Validation
STRUCTURAL ADHESIVE BONDING
12:20 Joint Design For Optimal Adhesive Bonding
- Critical issues in joint design for the joining process
- Understanding adhesive systems and products and their usage
- Maximizing the contribution of adhesive to the welded joint
- Role of surface treatments and fillers in ensuring good adhesive bonding
- Manufacturing requirements and repeatability considerations
12:50 Question And Answer Session
13:00 Networking Lunch
14:10 Evaluating The Trade Offs Using Adhesives For Different Types Of Joints And Their Applications
- How do we lightweight the whole joining process?
- What are trends in reducing complexity with flange design, mechanical fastenings, welding and adhesives?
- Understanding adhesive flow processes under welding
- Role of adhesives in corrosion protection, stiffness and managing noise vibration and harshness (NVH)
14:40 Question And Answer Session
14:50 Advancements In Non Destructive Evaluation (NDT) Of Welding And Adhesive Processes
- Importance of testing to ensure the joined materials welded out properly with right bond type
- Automated inspection approaches for laser joints including laser scanning and high resolution camera technology for high volume rates
- Evaluating new techniques for inspecting adhesive wear between joints without dissembling
- Quality validation for Class A surfaces
- Alternative destructive testing approaches
15:20 Question And Answer Session
15:30 Refreshments And Networking Break In Exhibition Area
Simulation And Modelling Of Forming, Joining, Welding And Adhesive Bonding Manufacturing Processes
16:00 Simulation And Modelling Of Structural Adhesives And The Adhesive Joining Processes For Optimal Performance
- Importance of the use of modelling adhesives in structural crashworthiness, ride handling ability and impact analysis
- How can the impact of structural adhesives be properly modelled?
- Modelling structural adhesive benefits with steel - how close are today's simulation capabilities to reality?
16:30 Question And Answer Session
16:40 Simulating Hot And Cold Forming Processes With New High Strength Steels And Aluminium Alloys
- Understanding material characteristics under forming at elevated temperatures for structural optimizationOvercoming challenges with spring-back behavior
- Improving simulation of fatigue and fracture characteristics of Gen3 steels vs. aluminum, magnesium and alternative metals
17:10 Question And Answer Session
17:20 Chair's Closing Remarks - Day One
17:30 Evening Networking Drinks Reception For All Attendees
WHY THIS EVENT IS UNIQUE
The Largest Automotive OEM-Led Lightweight Materials, Structures And Manufacturing Summit Is Returning To COBO Center Detroit
Following global growth and expansion, GALM USA Detroit is returning with a brand new program on how to 'Implement Lightweighting Innovations & Optimize Multi-Material Architectures For EVs, Autonomous Vehicles & Next Gen ICEVs.
Summit participants will benefit from:
- New agenda topics and themes researched with industry peers that fully reflect the evolution to a new generation of vehicles, including how the design and technical challenges posed by EVs in terms of costs and margins are being overcome.
- A highly informative mix of practical in-depth technical sessions, case study-led presentations and forward looking panels featuring leading OEMs, supplier innovations, technical experts and engineering professionals
- Technology innovation showcase comprising world leading providers of advanced materials, technologies, manufacturing solutions, BIWs and live demonstrations in the adjoining exhibition hall to ensure participants are fully up-to-speed on key industry developments and directions.
- Unrivaled networking opportunities including lunches, coffee breaks and drinks reception that ensure an interactive, dynamic gathering for engineers from OEMs, leading suppliers and technology innovators on automotive structures and materials.
- A unique holistic perspective offering practical insights and thought leadership on lightweighting covering advanced materials, body structures and related integration and optimisation issues, CAE and simulation tools and techniques, joining and testing technologies, coupled with best practices and business cases for implementing those advancements into existing production lines.